Saturday, April 12, 2014

My candidate speech at the 2014 Actors' Equity National Membership Meeting

As per its by-laws, Equity allows each candidate running for Council two minutes to speak to the membership.  For all the issues that stage managers and actors are concerned with, this is a paltry amount of time; barely a how-do-you-do.  It's more like a candidate EPA.  

We were in the Gramercy room at the New York Hilton on Friday, April 11.  A large turnout was expected.  Though there were seats for a few hundred, there were, by my estimation about 150 in attendance. This was disappointing as the Town Hall meeting in January was at overflow capacity.  I am hoping that this does not mean that the fire that was in so many people's bellies has not gone out.  Anyway, here is what I said:

"Greetings, Brothers and Sisters. When a candidate gets up here and says something like “we are the union;” “together we are strong,” it can sound like empty, flowery poetry - just something one says to get elected.  When I say it, it is a strategy.  The great thing about the current swirling storm of fecal matter over tiered tours is that we have invigorated the membership.  We spoke and we were heard.  Thank you, brothers and sisters. And stay vocal.

Annually, there are more young people graduating from theatre programs around the country than ever and they are far better trained than I was at their age, but the number of jobs has not increased.   So, part of our mission, as the leading light to keep the theatre ever professional, is to make not just working, but working Equity, the thing to aspire to.  I never want to hear a young professional actor say, ‘I wonder if it’s too soon to take my Equity card.’ Non-union theatre proliferates because actors don’t realize they have the power to demand more. That’s what unions are all about. Outreach, Education and Organizing are passions that keep me coming back to this particular well.  I am a working actor and I have skin in this game.


I have several years of service to this union behind me.  I have served on Council before and a sit on more committees than I can count.  It is work I do proudly and well.  I would be honored to work for you.  And I’m always reachable.  Two minutes is not enough time to give the whole picture, so: my website is www.showbizbuzz.info; you can "like" me on Facebook at Buzz Roddy For Equity Council and my email is buzzforcouncil@gmail.com.  Thank you, Brothers and Sisters."

Ballots go out Monday April 14 and are due back on May 18.  Please vote.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment